The widening specter of regional conflicts in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) has exacerbated the threat posed by the radicalization, violent extremism, and foreign terrorist fighters (FTFs). Not only because of the sheer numbers but also because of the level of terror and violence perpetrated by the terror organizations, the magnitude of radicalization and violent extremism-related threats and risks has taken the international community unprepared. Radicalization with various ideological, ethnic and religious motivations has been increasingly drawing attention from policy-makers, scholars and security institutions. This realization pushes each and every actor in the international community to cooperate with an un-biased approach supported by empirical research and local expertise.
Drawing from its research experience and active international presence, ORSAM acknowledges the importance of the challenges posed by radicalization, violent extremism and FTFs and believes there is an urgent need to analyze the current tools and measures.
Moreover, ORSAM believes, it is essential to build the required capability of both government institutions and the NGOs to better cope with these challenges, and formulate a comprehensive multi-dimensional approach that will be effective at tackling FTF and CVE&PVE threats.
In this light, ORSAM will host an international symposium, sponsored by the EU, which will cover but not limited to below topics:
- Root Causes of Radicalization and Violent Extremism
- Foreign Terrorist Fighters
- Youth and Radicalization and Violent Extremism
- Women and Radicalization and Violent Extremism
- Social Media and Radicalization and Violent Extremism
- Coverage of Radicalization and Violent Extremism in Conventional Media Tools
- Using Cyber Measures to Tackle the Threat of Radicalization and Violent Extremism
- Lessons Learnt with respect to the Legal and Administrative Measures to Tackle the Threat of Radicalization and Violent Extremism
- The Question of Returnees
- Rehabilitation and Reintegration-Related Efforts Worldwide
- The Role of NGOs Against the Threat of Radicalization and Violent Extremism
- The Way Forward Regarding the Research on CVE and PVE
- Improving Effectiveness of International Cooperation Regarding Radicalization and Violent Extremism